Idiopathic granulomatous mastitis (IGM) is a benign mimic of breast carcinomas. It is defined histologically by the presence of granulomas and inflammation. The closely related cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis (CNGM) shows lipogranulomas, with a reported association with corynebacteria. A large cohort of IGM was reviewed to compare clinical, microbiological and histological features between non-CNGM IGM and CNGM.
Cases of IGM were reviewed for histological parameters including the presence of lipogranulomas and composition of inflammatory cells. Clinical data were obtained through hospital records.
The cohort included 79 cases, including 51 non-CNGM IGM and 28 CNGM. Comparing non-CNGM IGM and CNGM, there were no differences in clinical or demographical data, other than a younger age of presentation (36.2 vs 41.5 years, p=0.012) for CNGM. Most IGM resolved within the follow-up period (n=57/64, 89.1%), with similar outcomes regardless of treatment (p>0.05). In CNGM, there were more infiltrates of neutrophils (p=0.001), histiocytes (p=0.047), and multinucleated giant cells (p=0.006), but less lymphocytes (p=0.008). Corynebacteria was cultured in two (25%) cases of CNGM, and one non-CNGM IGM (14.3%). Gram-positive bacilli were identified in two cases of CNGM. ‘Early’ lipogranulomas were observed closely associated to inflamed ducts in three cases of CNGM.
Apart from age, there was no distinct clinical or microbiological feature for CNGM. These findings do not support CNGM as a distinct entity. Rather, CNGM-pattern may represent a continuum of IGM, possibly age-related and attributable to ductal inflammation and cystic changes in the breast parenchyma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Pathology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Granulomatous mastitis: a lesion clinically simulating carcinoma.Am J Clin Pathol. 1972; 58: 642-646
- Granulomatous mastitis: etiology, imaging, pathology, treatment, and clinical findings.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 171: 527-534
- Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis: an update.J Clin Pathol. 2020; 73: 445-453
- Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis: a clinicopathologic study of a distinct entity with supporting evidence of a role for Corynebacterium-targeted therapy.Ann Diagn Pathol. 2018; 37: 51-56
- Granulomatous mastitis: the histological differentials.J Clin Pathol. 2011; 64: 405-411
- Silicone-induced granuloma of breast implant capsule (SIGBIC): histopathology and radiological correlation.J Immunol Res. 2018; 20186784971
- Sarcoidosis of the breast: implications for the general surgeon.Am Surg. 2000; 66: 1144-1148
- Wegener's granulomatosis of the breast: a case report.Pol J Radiol. 2014; 79: 117-119
- Management of idiopathic granulomatous mastitis with observation.Am J Surg. 2015; 210: 258-262
- Granulomatous mastitis: presentations, diagnosis, treatment and outcome in 206 patients from the north of Iran.Breast. 2015; 24: 456-460
- Management of granulomatous mastitis: a series of 13 patients who were evaluated for treatment without corticosteroids.Int Surg. 2015; 100: 774-782
- Refractory granulomas of breast: benign or malignant disease.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 21
- Granulomatous mastitis: a clinicopathological review of 26 cases.Pathology. 2004; 36: 254-257
- Age-related breast diagnosis.Can J Surg. 1992; 35: 41-45
- The relationship of mammographic density and age: implications for breast cancer screening.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012; 198: W292-W295
- Tissue composition of mammographically dense and non-dense breast tissue.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012; 131: 267-275
- Idiopathic granulomatous mastitis diagnosed during pregnancy associated with successful breastfeeding experience.BMJ Case Rep. 2021; 14e241232
- Granulomatous mastitis: a therapeutic and diagnostic challenge.Breast Care. 2018; 13: 413-418
- Granulomatous lobular mastitis: clinical update and case study.Aust J Gen Pract. 2020; 49: 44-47
- Management of granulomatous mastitis: a series of 14 patients.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2012; 28: 921-924
- Methotrexate in the treatment of idiopathic granulomatous mastitis.J Rheumatol. 2020; 47: 924-927
- Methotrexate in the treatment of idiopathic granulomatous mastitis.Indian J Surg. 2021; 83: 454-460
- Mycophenolate mofetil as a successful therapy for idiopathic granulomatous mastitis.Dermatol Online J. 2017; 2313030
- Immunomodulatory drugs in pregnancy and lactation.Aust Prescr. 2019; 42: 97-101
- Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis: further characterization of a distinctive histopathologic entity not always demonstrably attributable to corynebacterium infection.Am J Surg Pathol. 2015; 39: 1440-1447
- Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis: an underappreciated pattern strongly associated with Gram-positive bacilli.Am J Clin Pathol. 2011; 136: 424-427
- Corynebacterium species isolated from patients with mastitis.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 35: 1434-1440
- A clinicopathological review of 34 cases of inflammatory breast disease showing an association between corynebacteria infection and granulomatous mastitis.Pathology. 2003; 35: 109-119
- Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis associated with Corynebacterium including Corynebacterium kroppenstedtii.Pathology. 2017; 49: 405-412
- Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis – a review of 12 consecutive cases.Histopathology. 2020; 77: 781-787
- Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis with corynebacterium and staphylococcus mimicking breast carcinoma.Clin Case Rep. 2018; 6: 2208-2210
- Idiopathic granulomatous mastitis associated with corynebacterium sp. infection.Hawaii Med J. 2011; 70: 99-101
- Thick section" gram stain yields improved detection of organisms in tissue sections of cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis.Am J Clin Pathol. 2020; 153: 593-597
Published online: December 08, 2022
Accepted: September 22, 2022
Received in revised form: September 10, 2022
Received: May 10, 2022
© 2022 Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.